Thursday, February 16, 2006

Visit New York - Day Two


Tom met me from the hotel lobby (right) and took me on the PATH underground to Wiley's offices in Hoboken. First I was introduced to Heather, (who although not involved in my journal, is assistant managing editor of two journals so will be a good point of contact if I need any help or advice) and we all went doen to the cafeteria for coffee.

Heather was really sweet and friendly - she works at Central Park Zoo as a volunteer on Saturdays, and suggested I pay a visit, which sounded cool. After our drinks I sat with her and she showed me what her job involves, and also talked about Gus - her favourite polar bear at the zoo (left), her cat and her David Boreanaz lookalike fiancee!

I then met Michelle (Tom's assistant and my main point of contact at Wiley) who is also really nice. She took me for training on Manuscript Central with Michael - the system seems fairly intuitive so I think I should be ok, although there will be a bit of a learning curve and the transition from one Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Assistant's way of working will take a bit of work.

After training Tom took me and Mary Beth (the Production Editor for the journal) for lunch at The Brass Rail (right), where I had a sourdough roll with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip in, black bean soup, a smoked duck sandwich and fries, and passionfruit sorbet. Mary Beth was very friendly and we chatted about BBC America (she loves The Office, and thinks An American Office is rubbish) and the American Idol auditions. Back at the office Michelle was going to show me her work on Manuscript Central, but her computer wasn't working and Tom thought I looked tired so they suggested I leave for the day.

I caught the PATH back, and stopped in at a Jack's 99c Store where I got some crazy American breakfast cereal (Apple Jacks and Fruit Loops - how can multi-coloured cereal be good for you?) and stocked up on some Wrigley's Big Red - sadly not available in the UK anymore. Back in my hotel I had a nap and used my guidebook to plan what to do with my evening.

My first port of call was Macy's, which I found overrated - it was just like Debenhams really, so I carried on to Times Square, which was just amazing - so bright and busy. Being the big kid that I am, I naturally went into Toys R Us and saw the ferris wheel (right) and T Rex.

While walking around and taking loads of photos of Nasdaq, the MTV studios, Planet Hollywood, etc, I began feeling peckish so I treated my self to not one, but two New York hot dogs from Sabrett street vendors (left). The English woman I met on the shuttlebus yesterday had been raving about them, and they are pretty damn good - the sausage is frankfurter style and the ketchup and mustard really make them. Mmmm!

Next I made my way to the Empire State Building (below right). After going through an airport-style security check I bought a ticket and audio tour and got the elevator to the 86th floor observatory (which is open until midnight, last elevators at 11.15pm). I decided to go at night because I thought the twinkling city lights would look magical, but I'd love to go back in daylight too.

The audio tour is narrated by Tony, a fictional native New Yorker and is filled with his colorful, amusing and informative observations - which is really useful as he points out buildings you either wouldn't have noticed or have realised what they were, and tells you facts and trivia about the Empire State itself.

I took a few photos, but they've come out rather blurry - the notice board in the lobby declared that wind conditions on the observatory were "calm"... Calm my arse! I've never known a wind like it - kids were putting their coats over their heads like sails and being blown across the observatory platform. Nevertheless, the views were amazing.

Tired out after a long day I went back to my hotel and went to bed, ready for my next day of training and sight-seeing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this was AWESOME!

1:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog © 2005. All rights reserved. Squids.