Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Visit Chicago - Day One


After getting up very early I caught the train to Manchester Airport, where I had a long wait to check-in due to the increased security measures. My hand luggage was then thoroughly searched before entering the departure lounge and on boarding the plane (although the female security guard seemed more interested in my book than if I was carrying liquids!).

The flight was fine if a little turbulent, but American Airlines unapologetically forgot my lactose-free meals so I was starving by the time I reached Chicago! I got through immigration quite quickly and amazingly my suitcase was one of the first off the plane. Outside the terminal I managed to find my shuttle bus and was taken to my hotel, Club Quarters in the Central Loop (left). However, I then had to wait nearly two hours until my room was ready and I could finally unpack and have a shower. Grrr.

After relaxing, I decided to go in search of dinner. Following a recommendation in my guidebook I decided to try Trattoria No. 10’s all-you-can-eat bar buffet (right). For $12 you can stuff your face with as much fresh antipasti, bread, salad, cheese, salami, cold meat, prawns, bruschetta, pasta, and fruit as you can fit in, washed down with a glass of wine or a cocktail from the bar (about $10). Stuffed, I wandered back to my hotel and to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog © 2005. All rights reserved. Squids.