Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Visit New Zealand - Day One


I arrive in Christchurch and get a shuttle to my hotel, The Classic Villa on Worcester Boulevard. On the minibus, I chat to a couple who have just been visiting their daughter in Sydney and discover that she went to Sheffield University and lived just along the road from where I lived when I was a student (‘small world’ example #1). What I see of the city from the window of the minibus looks lovely – very green, a combination of tranquil parks and a city buzz. After a shower and relax in my room, I wander around to the YHA to pick up my travel documents for the bus tour.

On the way back I pass the Bard on Avon where Birral was a regular when he lived in Christchurch. I stop in for a Guinness and a chat with Liz who remembers him. Chilling outside in the sun, my boss calls me and I go to meet him at his hotel to make sure we’re up to speed for our meetings at the conference. He invites me to the welcome dinner, but as well as being very jet lagged, I realise I haven’t brought smart enough clothes with me.


Instead, I treat myself to dinner at Sticky Fingers (an amazing pasta dish called Farfalle Mediterraneo – sunblush tomatoes, olives, pine nuts, basil and parmesan – and a glass of ace local red wine). Back at my hotel, which is very chilled and homely, I force myself to stay awake until 9pm by watching TV (weirdly they show Coronation Street on the main channel at prime time over here!) then succumb to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog © 2005. All rights reserved. Squids.